Monday, August 26, 2013

What’s for dinner? …Roast Pork!!

We love roast pork in this house especially hubby, can’t get enough of pork crackling yet it is something that I have only mastered in the last 2 years.

I found that I would only be able to get part of fat to turn into crackling and the other part would either be like rubber or burnt, yuck!

And I have tried all the tricks that the Master Chefs like to share on the TV like pouring boiling water over it or making bit slits in the fat and rubbing lots of oil and salt into it. Sometimes it worked and other time no so.

But now I seem to have it down pack, and so I thought I would share with you what it is that I do to get it just right.

1103

First you will only find that pork belly or pork leg will give you crackling, shoulder just wont work (but I could be wrong this is something that I have been told and have found myself but there might be some lucky people out there that have).

Leave your pork uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before popping into the oven, this helps to dry it out.

Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle or crack some salt over the top of the fat, there should be no need to rub it in and you can score the meat before if you want to but I don’t bother and sometimes the butchers already do this.

Now you need to get your oven really hot, I set mine to 220 degrees and mine is a fan forced oven.

Now for the first half hour I cook the pork at this temperature then I turn it down to 200 degrees and cook it at this temperature for the rest of the time.  Remember cook your roast for 25 – 30 mins for every 500gms.  This always works for me and you can use a cooking bag if you wish.

And that’s it, works for me every time.  Do you have any tips or tricks when cooking a roast.

Enjoy,

Jennifer xx

Facebook

Instagram

Pinterest

 

Blogger Tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment